Darke County Genealogical Researchers > Township > Washington Township

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP was erected in March 1819, and contained all of Greenville Township that lay in Range 1 East, that is, all of Township 12 North, Range 1 East, and of Township 11 North, except the south tier of sections, which belonged to Twin Township. September 7, 1820, Washington Township was made to include all of townships 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15, Range 1 East. In December 1820, German Township was taken from the south end of Washington. It included the greater part of Township 11 North, but was bounded on the north by a line 40 rods north of the White River road. In December 1833, the north tier of sections of Township 11 North was taken in Washington Township, but was put into German Township a year later. Also, in December 1833, townships 13, 14 and 15 were taken from Washington and formed into Jackson Township.
Cemeteries Census 1880 Churches Communities
Schools School and railroad locations on map are from the 1888 atlas.
Land Patents sorted by surname Land Patents sorted by section
1857 Washington 1875 Washington 1857 Wall Map 1875 Atlas

Communities in Washington Township

Name Location Lat./Long.

Pop.

Hillgrove 1857 1875

SR571, Hillgrove-Fort Recovery Rd. and Hillgrove Woodington Rd.

401039N
0844606W

Mount Pleasant (historical)

New Madison-Coletown Rd. and Greenville-Nashville Rd.

400540N
0844226W

Nashville (Darke P.O.) 

Greenville-Nashville Rd. and Palestine-Union City Rd.

400531N
0844440W

Sharpeye

SR502 and Palestine-Union City Rd.

400622N
0844449W

Sharps Crossing

SR571 and Fisher-Dangler Rd.

400904N
0844357W

Top of Page