which was taken principally from Wayne Township, with sixteen sections from Greenville and four from Adams Townships, was erected September 8, 1820, and was bounded as follows: commencing at the north line of the county, on the line between Ranges 1 and 2 East, running thence south to the south line of Section 7, Township 12 North, Range 2 East, thence east to the southwest corner of Section 11, Township 10 North, Range 3 East, thence north to the county line, thence along the north line of the county to the place of beginning.
In March 1829, all of Township 12 North, Range 2 East, belonging to Richland, was put into Greenville Township. In December 1833, all the land bounded as follows was taken from Richland and erected into a new township called Brown: beginning at the northwest corner of Township 13 North, Range 2 East, thence south to the township line, thence east to the east line of Section 35, thence north to the township line, and west to the place of beginning. A little after, that part of townships 14 and 15 North, Range 2 East, lying directly north of the boundaries just given, was added to Brown Township. In June 1837, York Township (for its boundaries, see the history of that township) was taken from Richland, thus reducing the township to its present size.